13th – 21st July 2018
Budleigh Music Festival 2018
Now in its 14th year, The Budleigh Music Festival has a full programme of performers for their free lunchtime concerts and evening presentations for 2018.
Doors open 11.30 am - You are invited to join them for their series of Free Lunchtime Concerts for the 2018 Festival. Why not make a day by the sea in Budleigh Salterton, go to a free lunchtime concert and enjoy some local food?
(A retiring collection will be made at each event.)
Doors open 7.00 pm - Evening concerts will bring a range of contrasting group and individual performers from different styles and periods of classical music.
Friday 13th July
Lunchtime: Brass Duo - Josie Denning, piano, Jasper Dommett, brass, Dorothy Worthington, accompanist
Evening: Wind Serenade - Festival Wind Players. Serenade, Op.7 - R. Strauss Adagio, K.411 - Mozart Petite Symphonie - Gounod Serenade for 13 winds, K.361 - Mozart Formed especially for this opening evening concert.
Saturday 14th July
Lunchtime: Schola Exe with Rachel Smith (Musical Director), the County Senior Choir
Evening: Apollo 5 - On Green Swept Shores, a varied programme of sacred, madrigal, folk, jazz, and pop including works by composers ranging from Byrd, Gibbons, Tavener and MacMillan, to Lennon & McCartney, Stephen Sondheim and Chaka Khan.
Monday 16th July
Lunchtime: Folk Music with Chris Hoban
Evening: Sunwook Kim - Piano
- Piano Sonata in D, K.311 - Mozart
- Piano Sonata in C minor, Op.111 - Beethoven
- Suite Bergamasque - Debussy
- Variations and Fugue on a theme by Handel, Op.24 - Brahms
Tuesday 17th July
Lunchtime: Clarinet and Piano with Kevin Hurst and Jonathan Delbridge
Evening: The Festival Orchestra - Conducted by Nicholas Marshall, Leader, Paul Mathews, Cello, Sheku Kanneh-Mason
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Overture, Op.21 - Mendelssohn
- Cello Concerto in C - Haydn
- Simple Symphony - Britten
- Symphony No.1, Op.21 - Beethoven
Wednesday 18th July
Lunchtime: Soprano and Flute with Emily Loftus and Stephen Rankin
Evening: Merlin Ensemble Vienna - Martin Walch, violin, Stephen Stirling, horn, Till Alexander Körber, piano
- Sonata for violin and piano in A major
- Op.100 - Brahms Till Eulenspiegel, for violin, horn and piano arr.Till A. Körber - R. Strauss - first UK performance
- ‘La lugubre Gondola’ for violin and piano - Liszt
- Mephisto Waltz for violin and piano arr.Till A. Körber - Liszt
- Trio for violin, piano and horn in E-flat major, Op.40 - Brahms
Thursday 19th July
Lunchtime: Harp with Esther Beyer
Evening: Sheku and Isata Kanneh-Mason - cello and piano
- Cello Sonata No.6 in A Major,G.4 - Boccherini
- Cello Sonata - Poulenc
- Cello Sonata - Debussy
- Cello Sonata No.2 in F, Op.99 - Brahms
Friday 20th July
Lunchtime: Piano Recital with Adam Heron
Evening: Chiaroscuro Quartet
- Quartet in E♭, Op.33 No.2 - Haydn
- Quartet in G, Op.18 No.2 - Beethoven
- Quartet in A minor D.804, ‘Rosamunde’ - Schubert
Saturday 21st July
Lunchtime: Music Deco - A trio comprising vocalist Kate Walker and her talented musical colleagues, Andrew Daldorph, piano and Chris Gradwell, saxophone and clarinet
Evening: Jess Gillam and Friends - Jess Gillam, saxophone, Andee Price, double bass, Steve Lodder, piano
A varied and eclectic programme to include music by Bartok, Ravel, Itturalde, Phil Woods and Chick Corea.
The Budleigh Music Festival 2018 programme is correct at time of publication.
For the complete timetable and to purchase tickets, please go to: budleighmusicfestival.co.uk