The purpose of this accessibility guide is to help you make an informed decision as to whether The Belmont Hotel will be suitable for you and your family, friends, and colleagues. We are committed to improving accessibility for all guests and visitors whatever your requirements so that you can enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you find this information useful and beneficial.
However, we are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if you have any questions or if there is anything not covered in the information that follows, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
At a glance
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01395 512555
- Reservations are open between 7.30 am-10.30 pm every day.
- We have a comprehensive website - https://belmont-hotel.co.uk
- Our sample menus are available in a larger font on request.
- You can contact the hotel by phone, email or in person. Please email inquiries to email@example.com
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers and there is a company in Sidmouth that has taxis suitable for less able people if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
- There is a mobility shop in Sidmouth (approx. 0.6 miles from the hotel).
- The Belmont Hotel is a building of four floors. There is lift access to all floors.
- All bedrooms are located on the upper floors with the exception of two rooms, on level going, at ground floor level.
- The ground floor provides dining, lounge, and bar.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor.
- All public rooms have plenty of natural light.
- All bedrooms and corridors are well lit with contrasting flooring and walls.
- There is good mobile reception throughout the hotel and every bedroom has a telephone.
- The fire alarms are tested weekly. You will be made aware when they are if it is planned during your stay.
- There is one designated disabled parking space in the car park. This space is available to those with a blue disability badge. If the space isn’t available when you arrive, we can arrange to park your car for you.
- Entrance to the front of the hotel is flat.
- The width of the entrance door to the hotel is 700mm although this is openable up to 1400mm.
- Front of House staff are always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered directly to your room. Front of House staff can also help you upon departure.
- The main car park is approximately 15 metres from the hotel entrance.
Getting around the hotel
- The flooring is carpeted.
- The height of the reception desk is 1100mm. There is seating available with a selection of armchair and tall back seats present.
- The lighting is LED downlighting which is dimmable if required.
- Hearing loops are currently unavailable.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The main bar / lounge are on the entrance level.
- The Belmont Restaurant a Horizon Restaurant are on one level and accessible from the main entrance
- There is outside seating to the front of the Hotel. This is on a paved surface on two levels. The top level is accessed by one step from the main lounge while for the lower level there are a further five steps. Coming from the car park, there are two steps for the top level and a ramp for the lower level.
- To permit free movement, automatic door release mechanisms are used in some parts of the building. Doors fitted with this type of closure will shut if the fire alarm system operates
- The minimum width of all internal doorways is 750mm although most doors on the ground floor can be opened up to 1600mm.
- Wall sockets are located throughout the ground floor.
The Belmont Restaurant and Horizon
- The restaurant floors are carpeted.
- There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with arms.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is table service. Full waiter service is provided.
- Restaurant tables are laid with white table linen.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text.
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus.
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for.
Stairs & Lifts
- There are 21 steps to each floor. Each step is 170mm high and 290mm deep. The handrail is on the right-hand side.
- The lift has an automatic door and is the floor is carpeted. The lift can comfortably accommodate a wheelchair and one escort. The floor space is 1270mm x 1070mm. The doors are 835mm wide.
- The 50 bedrooms can be accessed by a lift or stairs, there are two rooms on the ground floor.
- We do not have adapted bathrooms but all are fitted with grab rails over the bath.
- A Deaf Guard fire alarm listening device is available at Guest Relations
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets.
- All rooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request.
- The majority of bedding is 'non feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All rooms are 'non-smoking'.
- There is a telephone available in all bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have ensuite facilities, there are various rooms with a walk in shower.
- Plugs are available on both sides of the bed in all Double / King Size rooms.
- Our single beds are 3 feet, double beds are 5 feet and super king beds are 6 feet.
- The amount of space around the bed varies depending on the room type reserved. Our Reservations team can discuss this with you when booking.
- The majority of beds can be split into twin beds. However, this is not possible in some rooms.
- Nonallergic bedding is available.
- All rooms have either curtains or blinds.
- All rooms have wardrobes of various sizes.
- TVs have subtitles available.
Bathrooms and Shower rooms
- Ladies' and Gents toilets are available on the ground floor, close to bar and restaurant.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor. This is 2.40 metres x 1.50 metres.
- The room is well lit and the floor is tiled.
- The access door opens outwards. The opening is 930mm.
- An emergency assistance alarm system is installed.
- Supporting grab rails are provided.
- The toilet flush is a paddle type design for ease of use.
- The toilet is at a specific height to make it easier for wheelchair users to transfer and for those with mobility issues to use it without needing to bend as far.
- The wash basin is accessible to wheelchair users
- There is a lever-handle tap or a tap for ease of use.
- Baby changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet.
- Accessible shower room facilities are available in a selection of hotel bedrooms.
Please reserve the following equipment when you make your booking. If you require anything that is not listed below, please contact us and we will do our utmost to arrange the hire on your behalf.
- High Chair
- Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can be charged overnight.
- The fire alarm is a continuous sounder and does not have flashing lights.
- Deaf guards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Fire action notices are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- A Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan can be agreed upon arrival with guests.
This website (belmont-hotel.co.uk) is run by Percy R Brend & Sons (Hoteliers) Ltd. We aim to provide a website that is accessible to a wide audience, regardless of technology or ability.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website and welcome any suggestions users might have to help us do so. If you feel that we are not meeting your accessibility requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Accessibility Guide but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this guide. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.